Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Invisible Man - part 1

I have read the first 7 chapters of The Invisible Man (H.G. Wells), but his chapters are short, so we're looking at about 40 pages. I must say, I am quite enjoying it. A note about me: I am a far cry from a literature snob. If I have to work too hard to figure out what is being said, it tires me out and I don't like it. This is the reason I do not read Shakespeare for fun. :) I'd rather read something with a story I can engage in. Wells has been, so far, really fun to read. It was written in 1897, so I was curious about the language and vocabulary, but I have had very little difficulty - just enough to slow me down and help me to really enjoy the details (much like Pride and Prejudice, even on multiple readings).

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to read this one, so I'm excited to see what your final review of it is! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like being slowed down by language, try Lorna Doone. It's a great story trapped in a sticky mire of 17th century English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget Moby Dick and Gone With The Wind.

    ReplyDelete