Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Plans

So there's this sweet used bookstore by my parents' house. I went there last week and bought the following:

The Invisible Man - H.G. Wells
The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
The Pearl - John Steinbeck
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

And I paid $10.92. What a deal! Here are a few that I want to read as well:

Emma - Jane Austen
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

The Pickwick Papers - Charles Dickens
Lorna Doone: A Romance of Exmoor - Richard Doddridge
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller

The Vicar of Wakefield - Oliver Goldsmith
Moby Dick - Herman Melville
Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
1984 - George Orwell
Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace

And depending on my enjoyment of the Steinbeck currently in my collection:
Winter of Our Discontent
Cannery Row
Sweet Thursday
East of Eden




Please leave me other suggestions!

6 comments:

  1. I would also suggest Great Expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I got a request for 1984 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything by Salmon Rushdie (sorry if that's not the right spelling!). I thought Midnight's Children was particularly good.

    Also, this won't be a classic until 200 years from now because it was written recently, but David Foster Wallace's essays are amazing (Consider The Lobster is a compilation of essays) and his book Infinite Jest is...well...indescribable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do want to read Infinite Jest, but the size is so intimidating! Okay, it's on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm supposed to comment on your Steinbeck. Winter of Our Discontent is terrific, perfectly Steinbeck, and not terribly long. The characters in Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday (they share characters) are very well done. East of Eden is long, and epic, and is the only thing in the world that has ever made me think about getting a tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since you're reading the classics of English lit. and are not afraid of Dickens, let me suggest my favorite book - "The Pickwick Papers." You'll laugh until you wet yourself, I promise. Another surprisingly funny oldie-but-goodie "The Vicar of Wakefield." I had to read it for a class, but had I known how funny it was, I would've read it earlier. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete